Thanks to Taner, Ümit and the rest of the staff at Meymekan, the marina bar of choice for a great evening. Here are a few photos (yes, the Rasta hat is in there somewhere Vera).
In the final picture above I am narrating my 60th birthday poem and short speech. Gilly told me to post it on the blog so here it is......
So, what an amazing birthday. I think the last time I had so many people to my party was probably when I was about 10 years old. Now I can add another 50 (50!) to that. I'm not a big speech maker but I do want to say "Thank you all for coming tonight to help me celebrate my 60th birthday." It's great to see so many of the friends here that we have made over the past three years. I'd specially like to thank Ann and Kevin from Sailaway. Gilly tells me it was you who bought and hung all the decorations. So "Cheers guys".
As I said I'm not a big speech maker so instead I have written a very short poem for you. Apologies in advance to Edward Lear and The Owl and The Pussycat went to Sea. So here it is. It's called "The John and The Gilly went to sea"....
The John and The Gilly went to sea
In a beautiful old green boat
We sailed from Lagos and on to Gib
In the hope that we'd still stay afloat
We travelled on east to the islands of Greece
No marinas or taxes around
And so on to Turkey and Goçek and Kaş
Where a nice new marina we found, we found
Where a nice new marina we found
The last three years have been some of the best
Many friends, what a strange motley crew
Alixora and Whitestar and Blue Talisman
Silver Lady and Sailaway too
We've sailed to Datça and Lesvos and Kos
Petronella will tell you the tale
She's old and uncomfy but sturdy and strong
And she's safe as can be in a gale, a gale
Yes, she's safe as can be in a gale
But 60 has come and I'm getting quite old
So it's time to cast off and sail west
To the land of the rasta, the boat boys, the Trades
Where the lobster is simply the best
And Gill will look up at the moon, what a life
And stare at a solitary star
As for me, I will think, as I gaze at my wife
What a beautiful pussy you are, you are
What a beautiful pussy you are!
Watch out Gilly, you are next.
Watch out Gilly, you are next.

1 comment:
Happy birthday even a bit late, but we mean it from our hearts.
Urs + Theresa
SAILFISH
Post a Comment