So, time to leave Turkey yet again from a local Turkish airport near you. Tunahan's Taxi to the airport, check in as usual, drink all remaining liquid before X-Ray, find a can of tonic we had forgotten about and have it confiscated. Just the usual stuff.
On to passport control. I went ahead as Gilly was still packing away her hand baggage (now devoid of tonic). Passport and Turkish icamet presented and I manage a passable entire conversation in Turkish. Excellent stuff - I have learned a bit after all. Then, to my amazement the passport control guy asks me to go through, present my boarding pass at Duty Free and buy him two bottles of Turkish rakı. Once purchased I am to return to his little booth and hand over said booze. Before I know it I have agreed and he has thrust 80TL into my hand! Purchase complete I innocently hang around the passport control area waiting for his sign to approach the booth and complete the dodgy deal. Handshakes all round and all goes smoothly but by this time our flight is flashing 'Final Call' so we scamper over to the gate and board our flight chuckling all the time at this bizarre parting shot from Turkey.
Tuesday, 13 May 2014
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment