Friday, 9 April 2010

Computer Advances

A couple of successes yesterday, in fact three – all electronic.

First up the depth finding was reading very oddly as we came in here and at the end we used the lead line to find the true depth which was not 4.6m below the keel but 2.4m – slightly worrying. Anyway a quick check of the depth finder manual explained the Gain Delay Setting [don’t ask cus I still don’t really understand it!]. By setting it back to zero it miraculously read correctly. I think it was the combination of that setting and the very muddy bottom that made it read wrongly as it has been spot on elsewhere.

Next I tried playing with the computer power settings. I had heard that taking the battery out and running it straight off the boat battery used less juice. Lo and behold… with battery in it averaged 2A and without (as now) it is currently using just 0.4A, the same as a small cabin light.

And finally……. We have a copy of MaxSea installed on the PC which shows us charts but was not interfaced to the GPS. It is now!! There sits a little red boat on the chart exactly where we are

It took a bit of messing around with Serial to USB leads and software and then correct baud settings but it works great and we’ll likely use it when approaching new anchorages and marinas.

Good progress I reckon.

No comments: