The alarms went off at 5.00am this morning but we were already awake. After a quiet couple of days on Kea we were due to make the passage to Aegina island or maybe on to Epidavros on the mainland.
We got up quietly and went about our usual tasks. I generally prepare the deck whilst Gill sorts out the inside of the boat. Today for some reason I decided to start at the back and work forwards. It was still dark when I began with just a hint of dawn in the east. Mizzen stopper off, mizzen cover off, halyard attached. Repeat for the mainsail. Main sheet bar on and main sheet. Prepare genoa sheets. Forward to the staysail. Take down anchor ball and attach staysail halyard. Check everything.
By now Gill has prepared below. Everything stowed, navigation equipment started, log prepared. For 20 minutes we have barely said a word to each other. We know what to do automatically. We have done it so many times now.
Time to raise the anchor with the old manual windlass. I notice the chain stripper has slipped (again). That's a job next time we have a spare few minutes.
By the time the anchor is up the sun is too. A big red fiery ball rising above the headland. No wind. Boo. At least that means no headwind.
We motor quietly out of the bay leaving Dilek and Deniz to follow us later.
Time for breakfast.
No comments:
Post a Comment