Thursday, 22 January 2015

Nightwatch

A velvet night. Billions of stars glittering above me as we glide quietly across a velvet sea. Leonard Cohen playing softly in my ears and here I am 1,000 miles form anywhere all alone in my own magical, wonderful world. A shooting star carves across the sky and alongside me the sea is lit up with sparkling silver yellow phosphorescence.

I am halfway through my 2am-4am watch in a world where I have seen more whales than people in the last month and it feels like I've been doing this forever. My family sleeps below and I can see the soft red glow of the navigation instruments out of the corner of my eye. My lovely daughter will be up in a bit to take 4am-6am from me. For the first time I don't want this to end.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments: